The Dishwasher position is responsible for maintaining cleanliness and sanitation standards for plates, glassware, tableware, cooking utensils, etc., using manual cleaning methods in the dishwashing area of our Santa Monica-based cooking school. This position also ensures the dishwashing area is maintained as a clean, safe and sanitary facility during our fast-paced cooking classes and private events.
- Receive all incoming dirty materials including but not limited to: dishes, glassware, tableware pots, pans and other cooking utensils during classes and events.
- Wash all items by hand according to Food Handler’s Certification standards, including scraping, washing, rinsing and drying all dirty materials, and put away clean items.
- Sort, stack and return all clean materials to their proper area.
- Take all back-of-house garbage to dumpster.
- Set up or break down, and fully clean dishwashing area including sweeping and mopping the floor, wash down floor mats, clean sinks, wipe down walls.
- Assist Kitchen Assistants in cleaning the kitchen area after class and restoring its ready-to-use state.
- As needed, wash guest towels & drying cloths, cleaning rags, and aprons in a commercial washing machine/dryer, and fold dry items when finished.
- Maintain a clean and safe kitchen and dish room according to Food Handler’s and The Gourmandise School standards.
- Help with storage organization and other projects when needed.
- Other duties as directed.
- High energy, and ability to hustle
- Positive attitude
- Time management, must arrive on time to shifts.
This job operates in a fast-paced commercial kitchen environment located in a shopping mall. You will most often work with the kitchen assistants in the classes making sure that there are plenty of clean materials ready for the instructor and students to use in a 3-4 hour class or event. The team, consisting of the Dishwasher and Assistant/s operate together and help each other as needed and directed by the Kitchen Manager and Instructor to make sure the class needs are handled, and the closing procedures are completed. Employees in this role are frequently exposed to hot water, burning flames, heavy items, sharp knives, and potentially slippery floors.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee performs most of their job, if not all, standing, and must frequently lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds.
Previous dishwashing experience in a commercial kitchen is preferred.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a part-time position. Days and hours of work vary based on need. Frequent evening and weekend work is required. Shifts are available 7 days a week mornings, afternoons, and evenings.
To apply for the job, please print and complete the application form.